Saturday 30 April 2011

An embarrassment of riches

A trip to Norwich followed by an afternoon shopping in Market Harborough (as upmarket as Leicestershire gets: sample overheard dialogue "I'd rather [long a on the rather] go to Waitrose") has supplied me with an embarrassment of riches.

I really liked The Book Hive bookshop in Norwich, which I left a few pounds lighter.  There were some gems to be found in the charity shops too.  Then Quinns Bookshop in Harborough today provided me with the perfect birthday present for a small aquaintance of mine.

One of these books isn't for me: can you guess which?!

Also found in a charity shop was this adorable teacup and saucer for only £1.  I might use for supping tea with my little finger sticking out, or I might make a teacup candle out of it.


I have been searching for the right herb planter and tray for my kitchen windowsill.  My joy in stumbling across this cream enamel one in a shop in Harborough today was slightly disproportionate.  But it matches my kitchen perfectly and, more importantly, fits the narrow windowsill. 

Finally I bought a clematis from the market which is now happily climbing my previously empty trellis.  Bizarrely, the hybrid shares a - fairly unusual - name with one of my teaching colleagues.