Monday 4 July 2011

Music Monday

I got some great feedback after last week's musical memories post so decided to shamelessly steal Jenny from juststuff's idea and make 'Music Monday' a regular feature. 

I didn't even have to think very hard today because when I got home and turned on the radio 6 Music was playing the rather wonderful A.M. 180 by Grandaddy.  This song reminds me of my brother, Richard, as watching it being played live is the closest I've ever come to seeing Ric dance.  Either traumatised by too many enforced choreography sessions as a child(usually to Jesus Christ Superstar, with me as Jesus (of course) and my brothers as backing dancers)  or just inflicted with straight-white-male syndrome, Richard does not do moving rhythmically to music.  But when we went to see Midlake play at the O2 Academy last November they brought on support act Jason Lytle (late of Grandaddy) to play one of their encores: a version of A.M. 180.  So, Richard had his favourite band playing one of his favourite songs by another loved band, with their lead singer on vocals.  It was more than even he could manage to stay still and while no-one would call his tapping of the toe and vague rocking motion dancing, it is as close as I'll ever come to seeing him bust a move. 

Jason Lytle & Midlake at the O2 Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment