Monday 15 August 2011

The centre of the world

I seem to have spent this trip seeking out the off-the-beaten track neighbourhoods; the places where you can find twenty kinds of organic hemp seeds but not a chain in sight.  I continued this trend today with a visit to Fremont, a neighbourhood to the north of Seattle whose slogan is 'Fremont: the centre of the world'.  The Sunday market there was a joy to behold, similar to Spitalfields but less frantic and much cheaper.

I rifled through old printing blocks...


I considered buying beautiful vintage handkerchiefs, but couldn't get past the vintage snot factor...


I spent a happy ten minutes searching through toy blocks, trying to decide what I wanted to spell.  Lack of some letters led me to plump for the simple...


I had fun making words from scrabble tiles, eventually deciding that the following would look good framed on a wall...


Meanwhile Richard has been at a baseball game, cheering on the Boston Red Sox against the Seattle Mariners.  I'm sure it comes as a surprise to no-one that I went shopping instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment