Tuesday 7 February 2012

I left my heart in Portland

Of all the places I visited on my month-long journey across the States last summer, Portland, Oregon was the one I fell head over heels in love with.  Those pesky American immigration laws are the only thing standing between me and the city and I adore, but in the meantime I can sublimate my affection on Portland-themed homewares.  Thanks Etsy!


I'm very taken with this screenprinted poster featuring iconic signs and sights from Portland.  I think it might make me sad if I had it in my house in oh-so-dull Leicester though.

I already have the Africa print cushion from My Bearded Pigeon's Etsy shop, but am sorely tempted to add this Portland street map cover to my collection, especially as it shows the street we stayed on when we visited there: NW Glisan and 18th forever!  Almost £40 seems steep for a cushion cover though.  That money could be better spent on a plane ticket back to Oregon, after all.


In the States, Portland is shorthand for a particular kind of bohemian, liberal, alternative culture, a fact these bingo cards use to fun effect.  They feature squares for 'Full beards', 'Sleeve tattoos', 'Strip clubs', 'Food carts' and 'Thrift stores', amongst others, and I can attest to the fact that you'd achieve a full house pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment