Monday 20 February 2012

Music Monday: Weezer



Weezer's first album brings back tons of memories from the early 90s.  They were the go-to band for quirky, guitar-based-but-not-too-rocky American music for a while and I was a big fan, but then forgot about them until I was training to be a teacher in 2004.  Goodness knows why I suddenly dug out my copy of the Blue album then, but I became newly obsessed with indie-pop gems such as My Name Is Jonas and Undone (The Sweater Song)

Perhaps not coincidentally, a fellow PGCE student (who was on placement at the same god-awful, Ofsted-failing school as me, and who I had a HUGE crush on) was also a fan, and we used to listen to Weezer and Ben Folds Five while driving around the housing estate at lunchtime, smoking and bitching about our classes.  The friendship ended messily in one drunken night of ill-advised fumbling, but my love for Weezer's debut album has never waned.

Only In Dreams has the most bombastic and overwrought musical interlude (including a bass solo; whoever heard of a bass solo?!) ever commited to CD: almost 3 minutes long.  Slowly building up from the aforemention bass solo to explode in a musical climax of drums and guitars, the last half of the song is a ludicrous yet brilliant piece of rock music.

1 comment:

  1. this has made me want to listen to Weezer... gonna go dig out my copy now!

    ReplyDelete