Friday 9 March 2012

In which I profess my love for New Girl


I'm a fan of all things cute, twee and 'girly' (although the implied pejorative of the phrase 'girly' bothers me); on a not-unrelated note, I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel.  I was super excited when New Girl debuted in the UK back in January, and I have not been disappointed. 

This amazing post on xojane.com a couple of days ago goes some way to explain why Zooey, and New Girl, are so awesome, but can be best summed up in the below quote from the show (from an episode yet to air over here, it's Jess responding to *spoiler alert* Nick's girlfriend (played by the equally awesome Lizzy Caplan) after she's bitched about her):

"I brake for birds. I rock a lot of polka dots. I have touched glitter in the last 24 hours. I spend my entire day talking to children. And I find it fundamentally strange that you’re not a dessert person. It freaks me out. I’m sorry that I don’t talk like Murphy Brown. And I hate your pants suit. I wish it had ribbons on it or something just to make it slightly cuter but that doesn’t mean I’m not smart and tough and strong."

Just...wow.  I relate so much to that (the polka dots, the talking to children, the smart and tough and strong...) and it kinda says a lot of what I was trying to say here about why feminism and girliness don't have to be at odds with each other, but in a slightly different way.  It's so great that such an amazing female character is being written and put centre stage in a hit TV show.  I for one am keeping everything crossed for a second season of New Girl, and if you haven't checked it out yet, take a look tonight at 8.30pm on Channel 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment