Wednesday 7 March 2012

Inheritance

My mum and her partner met Margaret when they moved into their house about 8 years ago.  Eccentric and cantankerous but friendly and full of stories, Margaret didn’t seem to bat an eyelid at the two middle-aged lesbians arriving in the house opposite hers.  Margaret had lived there for years, her home slowly deteriorating around her.  When she passed away recently after a short illness, my mum and Andrea went round to help clear the house and were allowed to take away some bits and pieces, much of which they have passed on to the one person they knew would appreciate the mix of vintage gems and junk: me.

Salvaged from the kitchen by Andrea was this incredible enamel bread bin. Now taking pride of place in my kitchen, it’s lovely to have a vintage piece that I know the history of. The set of scales needs a bit of gussying up, but a lick of paint should make them look better.











 


A stack of books from the 40s and 50s is a wonderful insight into life sixty years ago.  Seeing Margaret’s handwritten notes in recipe and dress-making books brought me up short: these scraps of paper all that are left of the larger than life woman who loved to cook and sew.  Finding hobbies in common with her after her death, I’ve saved a pile of craft books to read and use.  Some rather sad, tatty copies of classic novels will make nice book bunting.  One book, How To Write, Think And Speak Correctly, was too fascinatingly titled to throw away.  I'm looking forward to learning how to think correctly, cos I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment