Friday 11 May 2012

Looking forward, not down

I'm finding things tough at the moment.  Rather than feeling excited about moving to the States, I'm just feeling stressed.  The seemingly endless amount of forms I have to fill in to get my visa... the long list of jobs I need to get done, both at school and at home, before I leave... the worry that things might not work out and it could all fall through... the worry that it will all work out and I'll actually have to get on the plane come July!  I know it's churlish to complain, when I worked so hard to get to this point, but I'm definitely in need of happy thoughts and things to look forward to.  And luckily, there is plenty to be cheerful about, with my weekend set to get off to a good start this evening as I'm off to Birmingham to see Alabama Shakes. 


I'm also looking forward to... 
spending tomorrow afternoon at The Lansdowne, an awesome pub in Leicester which has become a home-from-home recently, for a clothes swap, lunch with mates, and much daytime drinking (the best kind);
upcoming visits... from my dad & brother on Sunday, and my mum next weekend;
seeing the peerless Karima Francis on Wednesday;
a BBQ with friends (if this rain ever stops, anyway);
spending the first weekend of June at Field Day festival in Hackney.  Beirut, Metronomy, Jeffrey Lewis, Blood Orange... oh my.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend!

    I'd be feeling overwhelmed right now, too, but I bet you'll be amazed by how quickly and easily it all falls into place. At least, so my globe trotting friends have told me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually feeling super-excited about being in America for a year... it's just all the hassle involved in acually getting me there that's stressing me out!

      Delete