Wednesday 30 January 2013

Seen & Heard: January

Seen...


1. The Descendants
A quiet and contemplative film which I didn't exactly love.  It passed the time, and I thought it had some interesting things to say about land politics in Hawaii, but I wouldn't watch it again.

2. Les Miserable
I cannot explain just how excited I was about this film.  I'm a sucker for musicals, and I love the songs, the staging, the plot, everything about Les Mis.  I thought this film did a brilliant job of adapting the stage show for the big screen.  If the singing was sometimes slightly lacking, the emotional intensity was never left wanting.  So good I saw it twice.

3. The Breakfast Club
I'd forgotten just how cheesy this film is, but yet it's always fun to watch (if only to play the 'which character were you?' game.  My answer: a combination of geek Brian and weirdo Allison).



Heard...

1. Tame Impala, Lonerism
I'm still a bit obsessed with this brilliant, sun-soaked album with a 70s vibe from last year.  Give Mind Mischief or Feels Like We Only Go Backwards a listen on Spotify and tell me you don't feel the same.

2. Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run
I'm a voice person: if I don't like the sound of the person singing, I'll hate the music.  Bob Dylan and Neutral Milk Hotel are just two of the many brilliant musicians and songwriters I can't bear to listen to because of their voices.  I'm afraid Bruce Springsteen might be a third, despite The Boy's best efforts to get me to appreciate it.

3. Local Natives, Hummingbird
New album from Local Natives - exciting!  On first listen it's not that brilliant - boo :(  I'm hoping it'll be a grower, because I still very much love Gorilla Manor, their first record.

No comments:

Post a Comment