Tuesday 26 March 2013

Seen & heard: March

Seen...


The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
Oh, I so desperately wanted to love this film as much as I love the book.  I figured it was a good sign that the author, Stephen Chbosky, had taken on writing and directing duties.  But... but... I just didn't adore it, which makes me sad.  The best thing about it is Ezra Miller's candescent portrayal of Patrick; whenever he's on screen, it's hard to take your eyes off him.  But as tends to happen with movie adaptations of novels, it felt rushed and not fully realised.  I think I am going to try and forget that the film ever existed and just read the book again.

The Five Year Engagement
I'd variously heard that this was brilliant and terrible.  Actually, it's neither.  Slightly over-long, slightly worrisome from a feminist perspective (it's the classic 'look at this poor man, his girlfriend mistakingly thinks her career is more important than him or his career' tale*), but nevertheless quite amusing, and a decent enough way to pass an evening.
* see also The Devil Wears Prada

21 Jump Street
I was pleasantly surprised by this reboot of the 80s TV series. Witty (I laughed out loud, in a most unbecoming fashion, a number of times) and satisfyingly full of explosions, it's a great popcorn movie. Highly recommended.

Heard...


I'm utterly obsessed with James Blake's new single Retrogade.  You may remember his dubstep/R&B reworking of Feist's Limit To Your Love from a few years ago (which was also fabulous). His music reminds me of my days as a dissolute clubkid, when staying up all night was par for the course and most evenings out ended in a tangle of limbs as we all cuddled up together listening to chill-out music until the sun rose.  He says his new album - out next week - is influenced by a recent meeting with Joni Mitchell, which can only be a good sign.

4 comments:

  1. I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower on a flight a couple of weeks ago - I haven't read the book, but was really looking forward to seeing it. And it was okay - but not quite what I expected... I think I will have to try the book!

    Also loving Retrograde and can't wait to hear the new album!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, the book is amazing - don't be put of by the film!

      Delete
  2. I loved 21 Jump Street - who knew Channing Tatum was funny?! Agree on Five Year Engagement, didn't the end seem a bit 'why couldn't they just have done that in the first place?' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I would happily watch 21 Jump Street again... 5 Year Engagement not so much.

      Delete