Wednesday 31 July 2013

July reads


I spent much of July with The Boy, either travelling or at home, and I tend not to read a great deal when we're together.  Hence the relative paucity of books this month: just four (and one of them is still unfinished).

1. I picked up The Snowman from the book swap shelf at work as I love a good crime novel but hadn't read anything by Jo Nesbo before.  I really liked the dark and sinister atmosphere of the book, about a serial killer stalking women as winter falls in Oslo.

2. Walking Home tells the story of poet Simon Armitage's journey along the Pennine Way a couple of years ago.  As both a walker and a Yorkshirewoman, it was a great read.

3. The Boy very bravely bought me some books for my birthday (generally, no-one dares try to find something I don't already own) and 23 Shades Of Black is the first one I've read.  Nothing to do with that book, by the way; it's a hardboiled detective thriller with political overtones, set in New York in the 1980s.

4. I am late to the party on this one, I know, but oh my god A Game Of Thrones is so fucking good!  I got a sample on my Kindle after being recommended the books for the zillionth time by a colleague, and within a couple of pages I'd already downloaded the whole novel.  I haven't quite finished it yet - I find myself reading it in quite a tentative way, because the one thing I know from media coverage is that George R.R. Martin likes to kill people off - but am head over heels in love with the characters, the intrigue, and the brilliant descriptions.

6 comments:

  1. Hurray! So glad you liked Game of Thrones. I watched Series 1 when I was house-sitting for my Dad and he had them all recorded on Sky, but I haven't watched any more series since then.

    Boyfriend bought the books and raved and raved about them so braved book 1 and really liked it but was hesitant to rave about it because I'd already seen the 1st series on TV and wasn't sure if I liked it because I'd seen it, if you know what I mean?

    Took Book 2 on holiday with me and loved that as well, it was BRILLIANT. We have all the other books but I can't bring myself to read them one after the other (I feel bad for the other books waiting to be read on my bookshelves) but I think I'll be picking up the next one sooner than I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd held off watching the TV series until I read the first book, and am so glad I did. But now I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

      Delete
  2. I was the same with Game of Thrones - I borrowed the first 3 books from my friend and they lay beside my bed for ages. But once I started reading them, I couldn't stop!

    Someone recommended 'The Snowman' to me recently - I must add it to my 'books I might like' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, I finished it on the plane home from Macedonia and am sure I drove the other people on my row mad as I kept on gasping out loud!

      Delete
  3. Game of Thrones has been on my bookshelf for ages now but I just can't start in some way. It's so big and not that easy to take with you everywhere, but I really, really want to start it someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend starting it when you have a decent amount of time to dedicate to it; that's why I began reading during my summer holidays.

      Delete