Monday 7 October 2013

Thrifted



I have had some great thrifting luck recently. 

Firstly, fellow Leicester bloggers Make, Do And Spend alerted me to the presence of a brand new vintage furniture store here in my own fair city.  Junk Monkey can be found at an old petrol station and forecourt on the A47 between Leicester and Hinckley, and is a fantastic place for a rummage and a bargain.

The Boy was looking for a chair for his new house, and although he fell in love with a brown monstrosity (to be fair, it was very comfortable), he decided not to splash his cash in the end.  The furniture on offer was a good mix of upcycled items (I fell rather in love with a large chest of drawers), 50s and 60s vintage, and things that are just plain shabby but would soon be chic with a bit of care and attention.

In the end, we left just £10 lighter as I picked up a wire vegetable trolley from the 1950s, which I intend to spruce up with spray paint and use as storage for craft supplies.  We will definitely be back for a regular browse though. 



Then, last weekend in Hebden Bridge, we stumbled upon the Hebden Bridge Antiques Centre, on Albert Street in the centre of town.  This was a treasure trove of mostly smaller vintage items, from old Singer sewing machines and wooden reels of thread to lovely 1950s gowns and secondhand books.  There was a smattering of furniture in the basement, but we came away with just an old basket (perfect for Christmas hampers) and a vintage map of Leicestershire. 

With lots of travelling the UK still to come this autumn, I'm keen to hear about any other great antique and vintage stores near you.  Where are your favourites?


7 comments:

  1. OMG that's my bike! Well a newer looking version anyway. I'm on the verge of getting rid because it's so old and slow, maybe I should just replace it with this one haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, gorgeous bike! Well, if you want a twin, you know where to find it!

      Delete
  2. I want that ginormous orange letter S SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! T, whose surname begins with an S, is trying to convince himself that it would fit somewhere in my (soon to be 'our') house.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! Glad you went along - it definitely feels like the kind of place you have to visit regularly to get the best of it. Are you following them on Twitter? They post stuff as it comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite glad this store isn't near me, because I would buy pretty much every item in your photos.

    ReplyDelete