Monday 25 August 2014

What I wore: On yer bike


It was the Leicester Skyride yesterday, which is an event that grew out of the Critical Mass cycling movement (when groups of cyclists take over the roads to promote safer cycling).  For the big August Skyride a lot of the roads around the city are closed to traffic but open to bikes, allowing cyclists freedom to zoom around the streets without danger (well, apart from other cyclists.  I almost got taken out by a small boy on a trike).  I'd never done it before but when the day dawned reasonably bright, we decided to give it a go.  Now, most of the Skyriders were dressed in sensible lycra. But not me. I was feeling bored on Sunday morning and decided to go all-out vintage to match my bike.

This polka dot, 40s-style tea dress is from H&M but found in a charity shop.  With my trusty brogues, a slick of red lippy and a Rosie The Riveter-style headscarf, it made for a comfortable and fun outfit.  However, I quickly discovered that a dress with such a flippy skirt was not the most practical cycling garb.  It's amazing that I managed to make it round the whole route without flashing my pants. 

* Dress: Thrifted * Headscarf: ASOS * Necklace: Sugar & Vice * Brogues: Clarks * 
* Sunglasses: New Look * Lipstick: Maybelline Super Stay 24 Colour in Cherry Pie *