Sunday 12 October 2014

Good stuff: Links & likes

The real LGSM, 1985, pictured in the article linked to below

I've already made it pretty clear how much I loved Pride, and this in-depth look at the stories and the people behind the film was a fantastic read.

I took part in Hannah's Two View Review this week, looking at Sarah Water's new novel, The Paying Guests.

Laura wrote about our adventures in Nottingham last Saturday: if you're looking for cool places to visit in the city, she's always a reliable guide.

I'm still hugely fond of Sex & The City, even after those execrable films, so I thoroughly enjoyed Cosmo's recent list: 19 times Carrie Bradshaw was an impossibly awful human. I really can't disagree with any of them, despite considering myself a 'Carrie'.

Cute cat alert: E reminded me that this video existed, and it really is the best thing you will ever watch.

Kat's guide to dying your hair bright colours - and making the colour last - was really useful. I never made the link between my dye fading so terribly and my use of straighteners: time to cut down, methinks.

9 comments:

  1. OMG that cat video is the best!

    Carrie Bradshaw was a bit of a dick at the best of times, but thats why I loved her because she wasn't perfect (nor were the other 3)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I think that's why the characters are enduring: because they're NOT perfect and we can all see bits of ourselves in them.

      Delete
  2. I can't stand Carrie. I discovered SATC as a 22 year old, and really didn't get it. Still don't. Miranda is the only one I could remotely see myself being friends with (and the one I am probably most like...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda was ace, she was definitely the voice of reason in that group.

      Delete
  3. Carrie was SUCH a jerk but I think it kinda made the show move along. I still love SATC though. It's v.funny article, the one about the horse - haha! Yes, the article about hair dying! Good tips for us redheads ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, definitely tips to take on board. I already mainline dry shampoo between washes, just need to cut down on GHD use now!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, that Carrie thing is brilliant. Yeah, she totally was a dick, but I loved her anyway. I can be a dick sometimes too...although at this moment in time I feel pretty un-dickish compared to her :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Watching it in my 20s, I recognised so much of the stupid stuff she did, and related to it massively. The problem was she was meant to be in her 30s, and she was constantly acting in these ridiculous, immature ways.

      Delete
  5. I love that article. Carrie really was annoying - I know she was a hopeless romantic and I know I did stupid stuff too but seriously - I agreed with every word. And those films! I'm pretending they did not happen - even if they semi fixed some of the problems with what they did to Samantha in the series. I'm going to stop now so this does not become a rant.

    ReplyDelete