Monday 4 January 2016

The Buyer's Archive: December

 
Last year Elise started a series called The Buyer's Archive as a way to track her purchases from year to year and figure out which items had been worth it, and which had already found their way to the charity bag. As reducing my spending is always a goal, I decided to give it a go too.

I'm now approaching the 12 month mark of doing these posts and am beginning to see patterns emerging: so much of what I've bought in the past year has ended up being re-sold or given to charity and it's clear that I need to be a lot more reflective about my purchases. December, though, was a good month.


Polka dot top, £2 charity shop
I've been wanting a simple, loose-fitting polka dot top for so long that finding this one in a charity shop was cause for a celebratory dance in the changing room. Really. With my boobs of doom this style of top often fails to fit - usually stretching over the chest and then hanging far too loose and tent-like elsewhere. However, this vintage BHS version is perfect. I already have plans to use it as a pattern and try and sew a few more versions


Mary Jane shoes, £10 Primark
I wanted a pair of comfortable flat t-bar shoes that wouldn't be as chunky and heavy to wear as my current pair from Office. Lo and behold, I found a single pair of these beauties left in stock and they happened to be in my size, so I broke my Primark ban to buy them. So far, so good, as they're comfortable and go with most of my wardrobe.

Burgundy circle scarf, £7.99 New Look (no longer online)
I'm really into burgundy this winter and am also loving snood/circle scarves, so buying this was a no-brainer. I've already got lots of wear out of it, despite unseasonally high temperatures, so I'm confident it will turn out to be a good investment.

Which brings my total for December to... £19.99. Not bad at all, and I'm particularly impressed that I managed to resist the lure of the sales.